Activity Closures: Several activities will be closed due to the storm. These include but are not limited to, the stables (starting Thursday) and Turtle Bay Golf (starting Friday). Please keep in mind the closure or curtailment of activities in and around the Turtle Bay Resort are contingent upon the weather patterns and the actual vendors themselves and are subject to change.
AS OF 8/24/2018 at 5pm:
As of 5pm, the Hurricane Warning is no longer in effect and Lane has weakened to a Tropical Storm. However, the Flash Flood watch continues with the threat of extremely heavy rainfall and flash floods continuing to be the biggest threat. Tropical storm force winds and heavy rainfall are forecasted to reach O‘ahu by late tonight.
Potential hazards from the storm:
- Strong winds: Tropical storm conditions are possible on Oahu and Kauai on Friday night, and hurricane conditions are possible late Friday into Saturday.
- Heavy rains: Torrential rains associated with Lane is expected to affect portions of the state Friday into the weekend. Rainfall totals from Lane are expected to hit 10 to 15 inches, and some spots could see rain totals in excess of 20 inches.
- Big surf: Large swells from Lane are set to spread across the island chain Wednesday, producing very large and potentially damaging surf. A flash flood watch is in effect for all islands in anticipation of the heavy rainfall. The watch is in effect through Friday afternoon. A high surf warning, meanwhile, is in effect for south-facing shores of Hawaii island (Big Island), while a high surf advisory has been issued for south-facing shores of all other islands.
- Surge: Areas of inundation with storm surge flooding accentuated by waves. Damage to several buildings, mainly near the coast. Sections of near-shore escape routes and secondary roads become weakened or washed out, especially in usually vulnerable low spots. Major beach erosion with heavy surf breaching dunes. Strong and numerous rip currents. Moderate damage to marinas, docks, boardwalks, and piers. Several small craft broken away from moorings, especially in unprotected anchorages.
Weather Information Up-to-date online information on the trek of Hurricane Lane is available at the following:
- National Weather Service Forecast: www.weather.gov/hawaii
- Central Pacific Hurricane Center: www.weather.gov/cphc
- Hurricane Preparedness: https://www.facebook.com/PrepareNOWHI/
Reliable, accurate and timely information about Hurricane Lane on a statewide basis can be accessed at the following media outlets in Hawaii:
- Honolulu Star-Advertiser: www.staradvertiser.com
- Hawaii News Now: www.hawaiinewsnow.com
- KHON: www.khon2.com
- KITV: www.kitv.com
The public can sign up to receive emergency notifications at the following web pages:
- Hawaii island (Big Island): countyofhawaii.bbcportal.com
- Oahu: hnl.info/alerts/login.php
- Kauai, Niihau: countyofkauai.bbcportal.com
- Maui, Molokai, Lanai: www.co.maui.hi.us/list.aspx